Tuesday, September 14, 2004

"Everybody got a car!"

Wow! I have to say that I was impressed with Oprah Winfrey's surprise the other day. Seriously. You fill the audience with some 270 people who need a new car, and tell them that somebody has a key to a new Pontiac car, and every single person in the audience discovers they got a key!

That's a nice $7million plug for Pontiac and a hell of a great PR gesture for Oprah.

I just have to wonder 2 things:

1) Why couldn't I have been in the audience? I could have used a new car! Okay, maybe that was tremendously selfish of me, but my parents definately need a new car, and I know someone who also definately needs a new car.

2) Who is covering the little things? Who will be paying the taxes on the car? How about the title costs? Registration fees? Any chance people there are running without insurance or a valid driver's license? And who would be covering all of that? Would the new winners have to pay for that themselves, or would Oprah or Pontiac pick up the tab?

Hey, don't get me wrong, great gesture, but for a gesture that big, you do have to look the gift horse in the mouth... especially if it could come back to bite you.

No comments: