Friday, April 06, 2007

Blog Against Theocracy Weekend


I didn't know about this until now, and it's a pity because I would have done something a little more formal if I did.

Today is the start of a little show of support called "Blog Against Theocracy". The people behind this movement believe as I do that you cannot have true religious freedom without the separation of church and state.

This video should help explain things.



Now there is one thing about this video that I disagree with. The slogan "Democracy NOT Theocracy" is very creative, but America wasn't set up as a democracy. It was set up as a democracy inside a republic. And that's important, because it's that limitation of democracy that maintains our freedoms. A true democracy would destroy our freedoms the moment the "majority" finds them distasteful. And that is already happening right now. If you don't believe me, I've got three words for you: Federal Communications Commission.

A democracy inside a republic says that there is something more important than majority rule, and in America that "something" is the US Constitution.

But I do have to say that I think the video is GREAT because it really puts a human face (or faces in this case) to the argument.

Anyway, check out Blog Against Theocracy and the folks at First Freedom First. Then come back here and let me know what you think.

Oh, by the way, go check out the transcripts from the first "Unacceptable Truths" rant I made a couple of weeks ago concerning religion. Pretty much ever theocratic argument made backs up what I've said about religion.

No comments: