Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Official Announcement: Brutally Honest RETURNS next week!

Wow, it’s almost the end of January already! Some of you were probably wondering where I’ve been and when I’ll be bringing back the rants. Well let’s take care of that speculation.

The weekly Brutally Honest Column will be returning with all-new articles on Monday, January 29th. I’ll probably have them up on the previous Sunday, but I’m keeping with my tradition of a midnight Sunday deadline. One serious change that I’ll have to implement will be the shuffling of the archive files to a new server. Hey, I’ve been at this for over TEN YEARS now. That’s a lot of articles to write. This move may cause some confusion so please bear with me on the changes.

By the way, don’t expect too many changes to the general layout of the website. I kind of like the newspaper-style format that I’ve developed so I’ll be sticking with it. I’m also toying with the idea of providing more than just quotes in each article. There may be quotes, or there may be a brief summary or links to related websites for further information. It’s been a little hard to find relevant freedom-friendly quotes this past year when one of my source websites shut down, so I gotta go with the changes.

The Brutally Honest Audio Rants will be return on Wednesday, January 31st. As with this past year, I’ll have the transcripts up at the blog page, but I really and seriously hope that you would listen to the rants instead of just reading about them… especially those of you with broadband access! I spend time and effort and energy to cobble together some really good music and audio clips that cannot be brought over to the transcripts and it would be helpful if people could listen in when possible. Those with dial-up, I can understand. Remember, I was a dial-up person for the longest time as well.

I’ve been toying with the idea of recording these rants in MP3 format, but right now I’ll have to stick with RealAudio format unless I can find a server that will allow me to upload a 15 or 20mb audio file.

Now, you’re probably wondering why I haven’t come back sooner. After all, this will be AFTER the State of the Union speech, and I normally do rants and articles about that. Well I got a new computer and I’ve been spending the past two weeks – which normally would have been spent on getting Brutally Honest restarted – getting everything shuffled over to the new system. And it wasn’t easy either. In fact, I’ve been documenting one of my bigger points of aggravation and I’ll have it available at the Brutally Tech weblog in the next few days.

So, fun stuff coming up this week. I hope everyone had a great month, and I’m looking forward to getting back into the swing of things and calling them as I see them. (By the way, if you have any ideas or suggestions, please feel free to leave comments here.)

No comments: